Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Day of Work

Well, one and a half weeks later than initially planned, I started my first day of work today. I was super nervous but once I got there we had a staff meeting to get things figured out for the rest of the term now that we've lost two weeks due to the earthquake. Speaking of earthquakes, we got two aftershocks over 4 today, which feel really different in the 3rd floor of a big building compared to the second floor of a small hotel. Much less rattle, much more swaying. Interesting. I have no office to myself yet, since I'm still officially just a visitor, but I get to use the department head's office in his absence. Sweet! I'm all plugged in, working on lectures and tutorials for next week. I don't think I'll do much that's research related until I come back in December.

It's nice to be back at work. I certainly prefer that to spending all day chasing up houses to visit and real estate agents and mortgage brokers... ugh. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just go to Target and pick out the house you want and put it in the neighbourhood you like? Sheesh.

We had a nice afternoon here. It was really sunny and warm, and then at 4ish the wind changed and the cold antarctic air swept in and cooled us right down. Brrr. I keep forgetting that it's winter here. Or should I say "winter". Cold and rain is the order of the day and sunny and warm is just a random bonus.

Should be a fun couple of days as I get set up at work before we head on a field trip to the south and west parts of the island. We're really looking forward to that! Should be lots of great pictures then!

No comments: