Wednesday, May 14, 2008

DMV

For the past few days we've been occupying our time at the DMV. Good ol' DMV. First for operators licenses. We knew that the truck needed a smog test (which I didn't have done yet) so we figured we'd go try to get our operator licenses, and get info about registering the truck. Basically though, bringing a car into Cali, you have to jump on the registration right away. So Marlene started the process for her license, and I got to drive the truck around and wait in the "verification" line. The verification line consisted of exactly one 1998 Ford Ranger with a mis-matched camper shell (i.e. Me). I got to sit in my car, in the sun, waiting for them to come out (I checked if I could wait inside, nope), and it was 90F/30C out. It was fun... I'd turn the car on for a blast of air every now and again. Finally a lady came out and wrote down the VIN number and we were done....

So I returned inside and Marlene is nowhere to be found... I took my number and began waiting to finish the truck registration and to get my license. I eventually spot Marlene sitting close to the test-waiting area. Hmm.... does not bode well for Canadian driver license holders.....

When my number comes up, the fun continues. Of course I don't have the smog test, but I got kinda thrown into the car registration (if you move to California, you have only a finite amount of time to register your car, not a big deal if you know this, and aren't dumb enough to put the date you really entered the state, thereby screwing yourself into having to register in an emergency...) The other kicker is that my title has DGVW (declared gross vehicle weight). This weight means nothing to the Great State of California. Your title has to say "Unlaiden weight" Here's where I have a problem. So is gross vehicle weight not presumably an 'unlaiden weight?' I don't know many car manufacturers who fill their cars with gravel, write that down as the DGVW, empty the gravel, then sell you the car. Maybe it's been done, and I'm seeing the world through rose colored glasses, but in any case this is a problem for me. I also learned that pickup trucks are commercial vehicles in California because they have the possibility of being used as such. I think that all Crown Victorias, should therefore be registered as Cop cars, other passenger cars registered as taxis, and all 15 passenger vans as nursing home transportation vehicles. Give me a freaking break!

Anyway. At the end of DMV day 1. Marlene took the written test, and was told she has to take the driving test too. Having a Canadian drivers license is as good as never having had a license at all. The earliest available spot for her road test: June 11. Ahh.... her first day off from work for her new job.... As for me, I tossed out that I used to have an NM license. So now I'm waiting for the NM-DMV to fax the CA-DMV my road records, so I can forgo the pleasure of the road test.

Day 2: Today started out by going to the smog test. $90 and 20 nervous minutes later the truck passed with flying colors. (my truck passes everything with flying colors. It's great). Next we drive about 30 minutes to a certified weighmaster (Joe-Blows-Moving-and-Storage) to get the truck weighed. $20 later I get a piece of paper saying my unlaiden weight is 3,220. (220 heavier than the title. I should clean the truck out...). Back at the DMV, the truck finally gets registered ($111 later) but this is the best: As I am registering the truck I was asked, "Will you be using the vehicle as a pick up truck?" Ummmmmmmm....... Let me think... "No. I will be using it as a 4 door sedan, no! no! an airplane, or a rocket ship. No! A TIME MACHINE!!!" It's a pickup truck lady! What the hell am I supposed to say? So I told the lady we just drive it like a regular car, and promised not to haul things GAH! (good thing I already got my chairs). So the truck is registered. Sad day. Bye bye NM plates. We had a good, long, marginally lawful run, but now we must assimilate into the country of California. Oh. And I still don't have my CA license. The NM-DMV never faxed the CA-DMV my records, so hurry up and wait (that is what the DMV is about, no?).

Now I'm no more prepared for my job interview on Friday, and the paper work I was supposed to submit beforehand is still not submitted (that's next). Marlene starts work on Monday, and then I'll be Mr. Mom, wrapping up the few things we don't get to before she starts work. It'll be a fair advantage to my job situation. That's the update from this end. Oh... and it's hot and getting hotter...

3 comments:

gnat said...

Oh man, all of this so reminds me of my annoyances with moving to CA 3 yrs ago... Your posts are amusing, but I still cringe, so I guess I'm not totally over the stupid-ness yet.
My archived posts are here:
http://gnatthebrat.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_archive.html
If you want to feel less alone in the battle of "me vs USA"

Unknown said...

Your camper shell as well as the gas in your tank affected your DGVW. I'm pretty sure vehicle manufacturers calculate their DGVW "dry", i.e. no fuel. At least your 10-year-old Ranger passed the smog test. I'm amazed every two years when my 14-year-old Ranger passes the Ontario emissions test. Rangers are the best.

Driver's test: you'd think you just stepped off the boat from a foreign country.

Joel'n'Marlene said...

Hey Roger:

That's funny. Marlene and I had a conversation about fluids and the camper shell, and determined that was the extra 220 lbs. I probably only had about a gallon of gas in the truck at the time...

Yeah. Drivers test. Doesn't California realize that Canada is like one giant 51st state? Sheesh.

Nat,

I'm on my way to your blog right now!

-Joel