Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns






Mom, Collin, Becci, Laura, Lisa, and I all took a trip to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, about 1.5 hours from Hobbs. It was a lot of fun. Being midweek we had the cave nearly to ourselves. Collin made the walk in too. If you walk down to the big room, rather than taking the elevator you make a 750 ft decent on lots of switchbacks. It really is a great thing to go to, and even though I've been lots of times, I always have a lot of fun when I go. I also really like a lot of the stuff that isn't underground. All of the great Permian Reef complex outcrops, cactus, ocotillo, yucca, etc. After walking through the caves, I put the family through a few geology/fossil stops on the way back into town. Going to Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains always reminds me of how much I love the desert.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice photos. Looks a lot like a cave system I visited just north of Austin Texas. I don't remember the name of the place.

Joel'n'Marlene said...

Yeah. I haven't been to the caves around Austin. Carlsbad Caverns is a lot of fun. We practically had the cave to ourselves. I guess mid-week in September isn't really high time.

gnat said...

great cave... and yeah - the Permian Reef is sweet!!! I also love the desert :)

pandrb said...

Ah, I can see tepees & pea-zoids from here (ha!)