Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Drive Out





In addition to the fun of moving, the truck started giving me problems... Rather than driving 24 hours to Hobbs by myself, I decided to drive 13 hours to Salt Lake City to meet up with my sister, who was also going to Hobbs. That way I spared some of the wear on my truck. My brother-in-law subsequently agreed to buy the truck from me.

Driving across Nevada I mostly kept myself entertained by taking pictures of signs that showed funny place names. I also forgot to put my iPod somewhere accessible, but lucky for me I caught a bluegrass station broadcasting out of Fallon, NV. That helped pass the 13 hours of driving on I-80.

After arriving in SLC, I did a quick scramble of rearranging stuff in to piles of 'stay in SLC' and 'go to Australia.' At this point Marlene and I have our property strewn all over the world; Canada, New Mexico, Utah, California, and Australia. It's nice to have family to count on for this sort of thing. I feel so selfish sometimes feeling like I'm dumping a bunch of stuff and responsibility on people so I can go off and have fun...

The next day Becci, Laura, Lisa, and I hit the road for NM. We were hoping to make it to Farmington, NM on the first day, then pushing the rest of the way home the next day. When we arrived in Farmington at 2pm, we decided to keep going. We eventually pulled into Hobbs at about 11pm. A day early. It was a nice drive and we listened to Harry Potter books on tape the whole way... too bad for me they were part way through the 7th book, and I have never read a single word of Harry Potter. It kept the girls entertained though.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What are you most proud of:
driving at 65 mph;
odometer showing only 80385 miles; or
your check engine light is "ON".

Joel'n'Marlene said...

Yeah. The Check Engine light was on for the whole 12 hours... Stupid catalytic converter.